Met Museum Experience

This was my second time going to the Met. This experience was interesting because I forgot how much bigger it was compared to the Brooklyn Museum. I was able to see a vast collection of art from both the Renaissance and the Baroque period. In the Renaissance period, they focus more on religious aspects while in the Baroque period they focus more on the action. The paintings has a freeze moment in time. Within the Renaissance period, a piece of art that caught my eye was the “The Dormition of the Virgin”. It is part of a double sided piece. I liked this painting because it has a vast amount of colors that instantly caught my attention. Like all the other renaissance paintings that I’ve seen, this one had a religious aspect to it. The painting focused on the Virgin Mary. She has passed away. She was the only person in the entire painting to have the golden halo around her head. She was surrounded by some of Jesus’s disciples and Mary Magdalene who is in the red clothing and holding a leaf branch. Mary Magdalene is also seen crying and wiping her tear. One of the disciples is reading the bible (the Catholic version) as everyone else is paying attention. In the Baroque period a piece of art that caught my eye was the “The Abduction of the Sabine Women”. In this piece there were so many things going on. In the front you can see a woman that is going to be taken away. You can also see a man who looks like his the head leader in charger. On the right you can see that there is a fight going on between people.