MD: Art Project Annotated Bibliography

Bibliography

Ibsen, Henrik.  Four Great Plays by Henrik Ibsen.  New York: Bantam, 1959. Print.

This book is about a woman that was forced to act as her husbands submissive “Doll”, with constant physical and emotional manipulation.  “A Doll’s House” is an important example that shows the gender binary that I could use to develop the claim of how women were seen in society, so I can later explain ways in which artists tried to counter these claims and express their feelings towards society.  I think that it is important to have an example of a different kind of source, of a play, to further explain what I was trying to say, and prove that this binary was prevalent in many platforms.

“Women in the 1920s.” Weapons in the War of 1812 | NCpedia, www.ncpedia.org/history/20th-Century/1920s-women.

This article further introduced me to the idea of a post 19th century woman.  “A woman of 1920 would be surprised to know that she would be remembered as a “new woman.” It introduces changes that were made including attitude shift towards woman, and attaining voting rights.  The artists that I chose to speak about contributed in attaining these changes by displaying the problems with society.

Miller, Jean. “What Were the Traditional Gender Roles of Men & Women in the 1900s?” Our Everyday Life, 27 Sept. 2017, oureverydaylife.com/were-roles-men-women-1900s-8623722.html.

This article was essential in that it gave my argument substance and background on gender roles that were prevalent in the 1900’s, that were previously unknown to me.    It is important to have factual background for this kind of argument, so you have a basis and support to explain yourself. Specifically, this article introduced me to the idea that “American women toiled at home to educate children, and had other home chores that limited their interactions with the outside world.”

“1920’s Gender Roles.” Sutori, www.sutori.com/story/1920-s-gender-roles–PRb3DxXk1FC1WWoTPbVgqHHy.

Like “What Were the Traditional Gender Roles of Men & Women in the 1900s?”, this article is important to my essay because it gives background on stereotypical gender roles in society.  This source was useful to me because not only did it provide me with background on stereotypes, it brought up the idea that in the 1900’s efforts were made in order to shift gender roles and changing gender stereotypes, which works well with my argument.

“Gender in Nineteenth-Century Art.” Art History Teaching Resources, 23 Dec. 2016, arthistoryteachingresources.org/lessons/gender-in-nineteenth-century-art/.

This article helped me in finding some specific examples of artwork that I could display in showing how women were viewed in society, and what the norms were.  It was important to have visual evidence to make it clear for readers of my essay.

“Gender Roles in the 19th Century.” The British Library, The British Library, 13 Feb. 2014, www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/gender-roles-in-the-19th-century.

Not only does this article talk about women in the 1900’s, but it explains the gender binary, that men and women were seen to have certain roles.  It addresses both men and women, which is important research to have in my argument to avoid bias, and address both sides. Men were seen as stronger and women were seen as more fragile.  This sets up what im going to show, that artists tried to break free of this message and ideology of women.

“Women Artists in Nineteenth-Century France.” The Met’s Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History, www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/19wa/hd_19wa.htm.

This article from the MET gives insight on the restrictions that women faced in society due  due to their ideology of being weak. In this specific article, the MET explains that even if a women craved an education in unlike their male counterparts, women seeking professional careers were restricted in their opportunities, due to their preassigned role.”  This is an essential point to my argument to describe that women were at a disadvantage no matter what.