My MET Visit

My first experience at the Metropolitan Museum was nothing short of fascinating. The moment I walked up to the building, I was amazed not only by its size but by the history that I knew was inside. As I walked in and started looking around, I got lost in the first ten minutes. Once I found my way to the exhibits that I needed, I was simply in awe of all the beauty and history at my disposal. My first look was towards the Renaissance paintings. What caught my eye was the “Holy Face” painting by Gerard David.

Image result for Holy Face by gerard david

With this painting, there is a sense of stability and serenity. Seeing as this piece is named “Holy Face,” one would expect a sense of serenity to come out of it. Other aspects of this painting that differentiates it from Baroque styled art would be that it shows a calm nobility, it’s idealized, has clear light, uninterrupted contours and is more reserved. It is portrayed as a still type of piece where we can clearly see the intentions of the subject in question. There is no immediate movement in which we can interpret. However, Baroque styled art consists of a different type of agenda. Take for example the “Madonna and Child with Saints Francis and Dominic and Angels,” painted by Giulio Procaccini.

Image result for Madonna and Child with Saints Francis and Dominic and Angels

From this painting, it is seen that there is a certain emotional intensity being represented, as well as, a moment in time. Through the concept of “moment in time,” it is meant that this image is caught in the moment. Due to a constant energy and movement, the painter was able to represent the subjects as in the moment. Baroque art, which includes this piece, has a tendency to constantly consist of real and not idealized images that are very involving and close. A lot of diagonals are involved, as well as, dynamism. The effects of the light really draw in an audience because it truly puts an emphasis on the subjects being shown. The color scheme creates a dynamic of drama and importance to certain aspects as well.

Renaissance and Baroque art are very similar in subject matter, however, they both have a very different style in portraying the subject matter at hand.