Unit 1 Summary

In Unit 1 of the class, we learned quite a few concepts. Paolo Freire insists on a “Banking Model of education” as a way to criticize the education system. Teachers are those who oppress students and exploit their power. Students are seen as empty vessels, containers even, through the “art of depositing,” we are filled with information. Teachers inherently have this robotic system of depositing and repeating. This cycle, Paolo Friere says is not how it should be. Ideally, there would be more cognition and dialogue exchanged and even a mutual, fair relationship. Cognitive objects should not be held hostage in the oppressors possession.

Additionally, we delved into formal analysis. Formal analysis helps us understand and appreciate works of art as they were intended to be. Through formal analysis, we determine the physical aspects of a piece. We point out the lines, colors and shapes of what we can see. An individual may be able to decide on deeper meanings of the piece through the composition that the artist drew it in. Discussions of it’s historical or mythological context arise as well. With formal analysis, we can categorize works of art together or separate them by what you initially see at first glance or given more time, a more thorough breakdown. We pinpoint all details that are essentially seen at first glance without referring to outside resources.

Through these concepts, I was able to appreciate works of art more. With formal analysis, I can see paintings as more than just a painting. It is more descriptive than that. It can be a red painting with a woman sitting up front as the subject. With the banking model in mind, I am able to more freely depict works of art as I may. Rather, I can imagine a more simple teacher-student relationship from now on.