Blog Post #3: Pedagogy and Power

The banking model to Freire is about the education system. It showcases how students are taught to sit down and listen to the teacher while the teacher does all the talking. Then students are empty vessels and waiting for knowledge to be poured into them. The teacher is the one with all the knowledge. This type of system empowers the teachers and certain students who learn like that while disempowering a bunch of other students who don’t learn in environments like that. I have personal experience with this model because I grew up in the American school system and a lot of teachers like to run their classes in this format. Some teachers like the class to discuss topics together while other teachers just want to talk at students rather than talk to or with them. I have talked to my classmates and when they aren’t really engaged in the class and they’re just trying to take notes they are not actually retaining the information they should be retaining. The banking model is flawed in that aspect.