My Art Story

Art is primarily subjective to each individual. Essentially, it can consist of pretty much anything and everything you want. A piece of paper, a still moment, sounds, intangible experiences and feelings can all be considered art, if you truly wanted it to be.

Personally, art to me can be all of the things I have just listed. Anything that is beautiful to me, stands out and leaves me wanting a little bit more. Words that are curated in ways you couldn’t typically think of, places you’ve been that you just can’t get out of your head, sounds and pictures and everything else. Art is all around me, every single day. Art can architecturally stand out to me in the bed that I wake up in every morning. The interior design of the house I walk around in, the art of getting ready, putting on make-up and leaving the house. Stepping out into another start of the day, hearing the car horns of angry drivers, that is the art of New York City. It is from the minute I wake up to the minute I sleep – it is ultimately endless.

In this class, I want to be able to discover more forms of art that I haven’t already experienced. The history of art can help me dig a little bit deeper and find significance in every day life. I want to be able to appreciate the little details we might miss throughout what we believe to be our most ordinary times. It is beautiful everywhere I go and sometimes I may forget to take it all in.

1 thought on “My Art Story”

1. I really enjoyed reading your art story! I think it’s always interesting and important to hear what others have to say and step into the mindset of someone else, and it was really interesting to do that under the lens of what art means to someone other than myself. I too believe that art is subjective, that it is what the individual makes of it. It’s not a simple definition, and I know this is true just by reading all of which you consider to be art. I mentioned in my art story how I decorate my space can be considered art, but I thought it more so as in an explicit piece of art I have hanging in my room as opposed to how you mentioned the bed you wake up in (and the interior design of your house) can be art. There’s still so much art I miss too, just because I haven’t been trained to look at things through an artistic lens different from my own. I would have never thought of stepping out of my house to cars honking as a piece of art unless I had read your blogpost, and I really appreciate the art that you have brought to my attention. Much like you, I want to experience new forms of art that I might have missed otherwise, and embrace the beauty of the world we live in as much as I can!