Project Outline – Thesis

Topic – Emotions depicted in different forms of art

Thesis statement : Throughout history, forms of art have successfully represented emotions and stories in different ways. We see emotions and stories further deepened in details like body language, facial expressions, and symbolism.

The mourning Virgin and Saint John the Evangelist

Soft paste porcelain 

Giuseppe Gricci (ca. 1700- 1770)

Italian (Naples), ca. 1744 

This artwork can support and relate to my thesis statement because of not only the facial expression that we see on The Virgin Mary and Saint John but also their poses. Both of these figures seem to be in a position where their own grief and shock has taken over and affected their bodies. I also feel as though that the porcelain and drapery gives them a movement and fragileness that makes the emotions and the story be much more affective to audiences

Ugolino and His Sons

Saint-beane Marble

Jean-Baptitse Carpeaux (1827-1875)

French (Paris), 1865-67

When you first see this artwork, you are immediate capture by what you see. I think this supports my theme and topic because we see the emotion all over. Analazying this can make you notice the obvious which is Ugolino (front) and his sons (around him) tortured and sad facial expressions. However, there is so many other details that add to the intensity of their torture. When we find out the story behind it, the intensity of the situation is deepened.

Georges de La Tour

French, Vic-sur Seille 1593-1653 Luneville 

The Penitent Magdalen 

ca. 1640 

Oil on Canvas

Along with Ugolino and His Sons, The Penitent Magdalen is one of my favorites. When first looking upon this painting, the first thing that is obvious is that we do not see the womans face. But, there is a lot of symbolism and the colors used that make it obvious that this is a solemn moment. It brings about a sense of wonder. It differs from so many because we do not see emotion in the face but we receive it from the symbols around her.

Eustache Le Seur 

French, Paris 1616-1655 Paris

The Rape of Tamar 

probably ca. 1640

Oil on canvas

The Rape of Tamar holds a lot of emotion. The name of this title gives away a lot and it shows a lot of fear and a spectator can sense that and also feel angers towards the situation and sadness because of the horrible thing happening to Tamar. The smallest details can add more to the story and the emotion generated from the painting and the emotion in it. Its another effective way in telling a story and invoking emotions. It’s a great piece of art for my thesis