SN: Final Project Bibliography

Annotated Bibliography

“The Great Pyramids of Giza.” Smarthistory, smarthistory.org/the-great-                         pyramids-of-giza/.

This article gives a history of the famous Egyptian pyramids and how they came to be, along with the meaning it has for Egyptians. Each pyramid built takes part of a royal mortuary complex that also contains a temple. It provides a detailed description of the Pyramid of Giza’s structure, methods used to make it and close up images of the pyramid that I could use to help create a replica of it for my project.

Roehrig, Catharine. “Egypt in the Old Kingdom (Ca. 2649–2130 B.C.).”             The Met’s Heilbrunn Timeline of Art History, www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/oking/hd_oking.htm.

This article tells the history of how during Egypt’s Old Kingdom era, artists began to express their culture’s worldview as architects mastered techniques needed to construct monumental structures made out of stone. Their structures were important to the culture because they preserved life after death. This offers my project insight on Egyptian history and how their monumental structures came to be, as well as helping me understand Egypt’s background and the importance of their monumental structures.

“Giza Pyramids.” Civilization.ca – Haida – Haida Art – Masks, Museum of History, www.historymuseum.ca/cmc/exhibitions/civil/egypt/egca14e.shtml.

This article specifically focuses on the Pyramid of Giza and how it is known to be built by the three pharaohs, Cheops, Chephren and Mycerinus. According to the article, this pyramid is one of the only ones that survived the passage of time and it provides images of the pyramid iteself. The insight this article gives helped me learn more about the pyramid, especially because I recreated it myself for this project.

Forman, Werner, et al. “Standing Tall: Egypt’s Great Pyramids.” National Geographic, National Geographic, 24 Jan. 2017, www.nationalgeographic.com/archaeology-and-history/magazine/2017/01-02/egypt-great-pyramids-giza-plateau/.

The National Geographic article focuses on pharaohs and their placements in the pyramid after death, as well as how inscriptions in the pyramids have helped scholars discover new facts about Egypt. Not only does the article offer new information, the images included have helped me define the color, shape and texture of Egypt’s pyramids, which helped me define that in my project.

“Ancient Egyptian Art and Architecture.” Scholastic.com, Scholastic, www.scholastic.com/browse/article.jsp?id=3753871.

The article states that Egypt’s temples have been built as palaces and daily rituals, along with seasonal festivals, have been placed as artwork inside the temples. Beliefs of life after death was an important practice to them and it was believed that in order for a spirit to continue living, the body had to be preserved and buried with valuable possessions along with food and water. Due to the fact that my project is about Ancient Egyptian Architecture, this article helps me understand Egyptian civilization, what tombs and temples have provided to Egyptian life and more insight into Egyptian religion and beliefs.