SN: Met Museum Trip

My experience at the Met Museum was fantastic. I have been to the Met Museum a few times when I was younger, but I was glad I went again because on this trip, I had a better understanding of art, which led me to better evaluate artwork. Everything was spacious. There were many people there who were fascinated by the artwork as was I and there was so much to see that I would definitely make another trip to the Museum as soon as I can. One Renaissance Art that stood out to me the most was named Scenes from the Story of the Argonauts. The artist is Jacopo del Sellaio and he created the painting in 1465. The painting illustrates Jason retrieving the Golden Fleece on his horse consulting with Hercules and Orpheus. The Golden Fleece was guarded as Orpheus tries to make the dragon sleep.

One Baroque artwork that stood out to me was the painting made in 1632 named Robert Rich, Second Earl of Warwick. Anthony Van Dyck, made this painting with oil canvas of a Puritan sailor of fortune who dressed like a Aristocrat.

These exceptionally well done artworks highlight the differences between Renaissance and Baroque art. Renaissance art, born in Italy, contained the themes of philosophical and theological, where in the painting, Hercules and Orpheus were present. Hercules is a Roman god and hero as Orpheus is a hero with superhuman music skills. The painting also told a story and acquired knowledge. Baroque art focuses on a religious motif and insists of emotion and movement and in the oil canvas, the Puritan sailor can be seen with a smile on his face and focusing his body weight on one leg more than the other, standing with a specific position. Artwork in the Baroque era was also influenced by the Roman Catholic Church, the divide between Protestants and Roman Catholics, and religion ties into who the artwork was about, which was Robert Rich. The Baroque artwork has more emotion than the Renaissance one and there is more of a stillness in the way Robert Rich was painted than of those in the other painting.