Part I. Statue Of Metjetji

Walking into the Ancient Egyptian section of the Brooklyn Museum I was immediately fascinated by the numerous artifacts on display. It was really interesting to see that the artifacts varied from tombs to scriptures to the actual pottery they used. As I walked around the exhibit I found myself drawn to the Statue of Metjetji. I noticed that it was one of the few “human” sculptures in the entire exhibit and its representation of life development was very well depicted by the figures body structure and their traditional painted jewelry. When looking at the Statue of Metjetji one of the first things that captures your attention is the beaded skirt. Compared to all of the other colors painted on the statues, the color white still appears to have a stronger intensity. Then you have the pleaded part of the skirt that gives it some texture along with the colored beaded strands on the other side of the skirt, both going in a vertical direction creating a balance. As you look up at his chest the the colors become more desaturated but still manage to grab your attention by the use of lines and patterns. Once you reach their faces you can see there are differences between the two statues, specifically the eyes. In the Statue that’s supposed to represent an older man, the eyes are bigger and painted white. I think this is to show the wisdom and maturity compared to the other one. I think what makes the Statue of Metjetji unique is that it does a great job using color, lines, and texture to show the development of life.