Pedagogy and Power

Freire describes the concept of a teacher and student as the “banking concept of education as an instrument for oppression”. In the banking model, Freire describes this concept as the teacher being the oppressor whereas the students are empty brains retaining all the information that the teacher teaches. Freire obviously disagrees with the model and even poses solutions to the model such as the problem posing concept where there would be enhanced dialogue between the student and teacher. Students would work together with their teacher to come up with a solution which encourages students to think freely and independently.

The banking model clearly empowers the teachers and disempowers the students. According to the banking model, students are oppressed and stripped of their right to free thinking. This eliminates any creativity that students may have. Freire also describes the banking model as dehumanizing society. The education system is oppressing students and until things change, our education will continue the use of the banking model.

Like many people under our contemporary education system, I have been exposed and still continue to be exposed to Freire’s “banking model” of education. Students are taught at a young age to sit down in rows and pay attention to your teacher. Working as a teacher myself as well as being a student, I’ve experienced the oppressor and the oppressed. We are given curriculums and common cores by the department of education and are required to prepare students for upcoming standardized tests. As much negatives that Freire expresses about the banking model, I can reflect positively on behalf of my experience. Through daily tutoring, students progress in many different subjects such as math, reading and science. Throughout the year, the constant progression through these young children creates a sense of happiness and joy as you are endlessly thanked by students’ parents. Although many people may argue that this is a prime example of the banking model, these students were at the elementary level where some were still learning to communicate. I feel like students should be encouraged to start independently thinking at around the junior high school level and applying solutions that Freire discussed of dialogue and solving problems with teachers as a partner. That way students are encouraged to be creative and innovative. Albert Einstein once said, “Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”