Rudolf Adis Image List/Thesis Statement

Rudolf Adis

12.1.2018

Professor Shaw

ARTD. 1010

Topic: Paper Proposal on the similarities and differences amongst Ancient Greek and Ancient Roman art

Image List:

• Marble grave stele of Antigenes, Marble, Hymettian (base), Greek, Attic
  1. Artist- Unknown/Ancient Greece
  2. Title- Marble grave stele of Antigenes
  3. Date- End of the 6th century B.C.
  4. Museum- The Metropolitan Museum of Art
  5. Relation to Final Project- This artwork relates to my final project in that it is both an ancient greek artwork, and is also made of marble, which is a similarity between ancient Greek and ancient Roman artworks
  6. Reason for piqued interest- The reason that this artwork caught my interest is because of the fact that it was created during the times that the ancient Greek empire was just beginning to flourish, as well as the material used for it
    1. Bronze diskos thrower, Bronze, GreekArtist- Unknown /Ancient Greece
    2. Title- Bronze diskos thrower
    3. Date- 480 to 460 B.C.
    5. Relation to Final Project- This artwork relates to my final project in that it exemplifies both ancient Greek artwork, as well as the ancient Greeks’ use of bronze material (which was rare to use for the ancient Greeks).
    6. Reason for piqued interest- The reason that this artwork caught my interest is because it exemplifies the rarity of bronze Ancient Greek statues, as well as the interest style that the Ancient Greeks used to sculpt human figures.

1. Bronze statue of an aristocratic boy, Bronze, RomanArtist- Unknown/Ancient Rome
    2. Title- Bronze statue of an aristocratic boy
    3. Date- 27 B.C. to 14 A.D.
    4. Museum- The Museum of Metropolitan Art
    5. Relation to Final Project- This artwork relates to my final project in that it serves as a similarity with the previously chosen ancient Greek Artwork due to its artists’ use of bronze material. It is an Ancient Roman artwork example.
    6. Reason for piqued interest- The reason that this artwork caught my interest is due to the solemn power that it emits, as well as its ability to relate to a plethora of Ancient Greek artworks as well.

1. Wall painting from Room H of the Villa of P. Fannius Synistor at Boscoreale, Fresco, RomanArtist- Unkown/Ancient Rome
    2. Title- Wall painting from Room H of the Villa of P. Fannius Synistor at Boscoreale
    3. Date- 50 B.C. to 40 B.C.
    5. Relation to Final Project- This artwork relates to my final project in that it is an Ancient Roman artwork. Not only this, but it is a deviation from the previous style of artworks chosen for my project in that it is a wall painting instead of a sculpture.
    6. Reason for piqued interest- The reason that this artwork caught my interest is because it is an example of a non-sculpture form of art emerging from the Ancient Roman Empire.

1. Marble statue of Eirene (the personification of peace), Roman copy of Greek original by Kephisodotos, Marble, Pentelic ?, RomanArtist- Unknown/Ancient Rome
    2. Title- Marble statue of Eirene (the personification of peace)
    3. Date- 14 A.D. to 68 A.D.
    5. Relation to Final Project- This artwork relates to my final project in that it is both a marble statue and is also a recreation of the original, ancient greek version of it, which was created by Kephisodotos.
    6. Reason for piqued interest- The reason that this artwork caught my interest is due to its being a recreation of an originally ancient greek artwork. Furthermore, its deeper meaning, as well as the similarities that the statue holds with the Ancient Greek version of it, both serve as points of high interest.

Thesis Statement: All aforementioned artworks show that although both the Ancient Greeks and Ancient Romans were enthusiasts of sculptures and human models alike, their difference in minor details is evident as well.