Unit 1 Summary

What I learned in unit one was formal analysis and banking model. These are things that have open my mind in the way I see art or how I see certain things in the world, like the education system.  Education or teaching can be viewed as a banking model. The banking model was used by Paulo Freire to describe a system in which students are the depositories and the teachers is the depositor. An example is a teacher tells a student how to do spell, depositing their knowledge onto the student, while the student receives, memorize or deposit the information. It’s similar to the banking of the depositing your money into an atm machine. Paulo Freire argued that this model reinforces a lack of critical thinking and knowledge  of ownership in students, which can turn into oppression.

With Formal analysis I look at art differently. When I look at an art piece I look at the color, lines, scale, model, and the historical context so I can have an understanding of the visual description. Looking at the Titian, Venus of Urbino of 1538 I see a naked woman laying on the bed with a dog that is asleep. In the background that it appears to be a woman on both her knees cleaning while a lady above her, who looks to have some to be giving out demands to the lady cleaning. The color that I see is red, and white which seem to be the main colors. The stroke and lines seem to calm and smooth while the model of the naked woman also seems to be calm and relax. From my understanding this art piece is a wedding gift to a young couple or a gift for a person that was of high class. These are things that I take from this piece using formal analysis.