Blog Post #2: My Art Story

What is art? When people hear the word “Art” they immediately think about paintings, drawings and sometimes even sculptures. Although this is true, those things are just a very little percentage of what art truly is. In reality there is more to art then just paintings and drawings. Photography, Dance, and Writing are also different forms of art. My personal favorite type of art is Music.

Music is the art of using sounds, created vocally or instrumentally, to express emotion. Music is my favorite type of art. My love towards music began back in elementary school, Cesar Rodney, while in music class. At the time I was in second grade and the class was just beginning to learn how to play the recorder; although most of the kids in the class hated and found it annoying I was one of the few who thought it was fun and entertaining. The following school year I decided to join the school band and learned how to play the clarinet. Although learning the clarinet was a lot more difficult than learning how to play the recorder I didn’t quit. A few months later I performed at my first concert and it was then that I realized I loved it and continued my journey as an instrumentalist. Years later I used what I learned and auditioned to the arts program at my middle school, The SEEALL Academy, and years after that also used my skills as a clarinetist and auditioned for my high school, Fort Hamilton High School, in which I was apart of both the Concert and Marching Bands.

Although I may have made it seem that music is what art truly is about it isn’t.  Art, to me, is defined by creativity. Painting, Drawing, Sculpting, Photography, Dancing, Writing and Music are all just some of the many different forms of Art. The truth is that the anything and everything that has even the slightest bit of creativity can be considered art. In the end there is no definite meaning as to what Art is since the idea of something being “creative” varies from person to person.